I wrote last week about the case of Abraham Cherrix, a 16 year-old in Accomack County, Virginia who is the subject of a lawsuit by County officials who are trying to force him to resume the chemotherapy treatments he and his family have decided to forgo. The Judge handling his case was supposed to have decided the matter this week, but that’s been put on hold and Abraham remains in limbo.
A judge in Accomack County has indefinitely postponed a decision in the case of Abraham Cherrix,whose controversial choice for treatment for his recurrent cancer has led to a month’s long court fight with social services.
The Judge in the case did not state why he postponed his decision, or even when he might reach one, leaving the Cherrix family in limbo in terms of how they will go about treating Abraham’s cancer.
Most likely, of course, the judge needs more time to figure out what to do with the case. In the meantime, Abraham finds himself in the position of having to ask permission from the Court to travel out of state for the treatment he has chosen to try and in the unfortunate position of dealing with a judge who seemingly can’t make up his mind:
Last week a judge told 16 year-old Abraham if he went to the hospital for an xray – he would be free to go to Mexico to see the doctor who’s been treating him with an herbal therapy.
Then last night the judge changed his mind — and threatened to lock Abraham up if he didn’t comply with his new decision.
“This is craziness. I talked to the judge he agreed with me he was going to do what I wanted to do and all of a sudden at the last minute he changes it all around” says Abraham.
Changes ‘it’ – meaning the court order- to say that if doctors deemed it necessary after the x-ray they could order another test – like a CAT scan or MRI – something Abraham says will interfere with his herbal treatment.
“He said if I do refuse I could go to juvenile and not see my doctor in Mexico”
In the end, Abraham complied with the judge’s order, sort of. He got the x-rays, which showed that his tumor is getting bigger, but refused the MRI. The doctors said, though, that the x-rays were all they needed. Does this mean that the judge will let Abraham go to Mexico ? Given the apparent lack of consistency this case has already seen, that is by no means certain.
Abraham’s father summed up what’s wrong with this whole case quite well:
“I find it so hard to believe the justice system in this country would threaten and intimidate a child, 16 years old – who comes from a loving family and who has a life threatening disease” said Abraham’s father.
Hard to believe or not, that is exactly what’s happening.