It’s beginning to look like John McCain’s running mate selection may become known sometime within the next several hours, and most assuredly by tomorrow morning, so, much as I did last week, it’s time to make a prediction.
John McCain’s Vice-Presidential running mate will be…….Mitt Romney.
- Of all the choices left, it’s the only choice that makes sense. Yes, the Democrats will be able to have some fun with comments that Romney made during the Republican primaries, but I don’t think they’ll have the same impact that McCain’s Biden ad apparently did for one very simple reason – while Biden said more than once during the primaries that Barack Obama wasn’t ready to be Commander in Chief, Romney’s criticisms of McCain were principally that he wasn’t conservative enough. Can you really see the Democratic Party and Barack Obama running ads featuring Mitt Romney saying that John McCain wasn’t far enough to the right on issues like immigration ? Yea me neither.
- As I noted earlier this week, Romney helps McCain in the one area where he’s perceived to be weak — economics.
- Romney showed during the primaries that he’s willing to get down and fight with a political opponent. After last night, it’s clear that Joe Biden will give whoever the Republican VP nominee is a fight.
- Unlike someone like Pawlenty, Jindal, Palin, Cantor, Hutchison, or even Ridge, Romney is a known quantity both within the Republican Party and nationally.
- Unlike Lieberman, picking Romney wouldn’t essentially prove that John McCain has lost his mind.
Much as it was with Barack Obama and Joe Biden, Mitt Romney is the smart choice for John McCain, which is exactly why I think he’ll be the man.
So, let’s see if I turn out to be right.