Even as it’s people continue to starve, the North Korean government continues to play politics:
WASHINGTON (AP) — North Korea’s decision to reject future U.S. food assistance and kick out five groups distributing American aid in the country could make an already precarious humanitarian situation even worse.
State Department spokesman Robert Wood said Tuesday that the North gave no reason for refusing to accept U.S. food aid.
But the rejection is worrisome to aid workers and U.S. officials. North Korea faces chronic food shortages and has relied on outside aid to help feed its 23 million people since famine reportedly killed as many as 2 million in the 1990s, a result of natural disasters and mismanagement.
The U.N. World Food Program said earlier this month that North Korea ”is soon to enter the critical ‘lean season,’ when food stocks from last year’s harvest run low.” High levels of malnutrition were anticipated in certain areas.
”We’re obviously disappointed,” Wood told reporters at the State Department. ”Clearly, this is food assistance that the North Korean people need. That’s why we’re concerned. … The food situation in North Korea is not a good one.”
The North’s decision adds to mounting tension as Pyongyang plans a rocket launch next month that Washington sees as cover for a long-range missile test. The North Korean launch is also seen as a bid for President Barack Obama’s attention as six-nation nuclear disarmament talks remain stalled.
Something tells me this is all one big test……..