While We Were Out

by @ 5:25 pm on May 18, 2009. Filed under Blogging, News About The Site

Apparently, while we were away for the weekend a storm struck here in the undisclosed environs of Western Prince William County, Virginia and unleashed some lightening that struck a little to close to home.

It looks like we lost an ethernet card on one computer, a power supply on another, and a GFCI circuit in the kitchen. So, that’s why I’ve been offline most of the day (if anyone noticed, that is).

We’re back up to normal now — except for some weird problems with the wireless router than I’ll deal with tomorrow — and regular blogging will resume tomorrow. Don’t expect anything tonight, because of the season-ending double-feature Jack Bauer Power Hour.

In the meantime, if anyone can give me a clue as to why my Linksys WRT54GL Wireless Router isn’t recognizing an incoming Internet connection, I’d appreciate it. I don’t think the thing is fried because the wireless network can be seen.

7 Responses to “While We Were Out”

1. tfr says:

Is it a hardwired net hookup that it can’t see? That could be where the lightning came in.

Fun stuff, lightning. One day we came home and found objects that had been hanging on the wall were now on the floor. Later we found that the surge protector for the computer had given its life to save the computer. No other damage.

2. klf says:

I had a similar problem. I tired a new ether net cable. then I tried another router, only to come to find it was my router being too close to the modem. I separated the two and poof, there was net! you should has your provider to ping you modem, can tell you if it is a software or hardware issue.

3. James says:

Not sure which way you are connecting when you refer to “won’t recognize the internet, but assuming you are referring to the cable between the router and the DSL modem I’d check the following.

1. Is the modem fried? Hooking up a working comp directly to the modem instead of to the Linksys (use the same cable). If that works go to #2 If not either the cable or the modem is bad.

2. Connect a comp to the “modem port” on the Linksys. This will mean you need to give the Linksys a hard IP, and make it the same subnet as the Linksys. If you can ping from inside the Linksys to the computer. That part is good. go to 3

3. Re configure your DSL connection just like you did when you first got it.

I’d suspect you most likely burned out the “internet” port on the Linksys (if so can’t be recovered) or the modem bit the bullet (they tend to be cheap quality) Good luck.

4. Eric Dondero says:

Hey, here’s a morning funny for you all:

Yesterday, Ron Paul, often cited as a “libertarian,” was one of only two Republicans to vote in favor of Nancy Pelosi over the Waterboarding investigations. Nancy Pelosi, lifetime Libertarian Index ratings of virtually ‘0’; perhaps the most Authoritarian, anti-libertarian politician in America, and Ron Paul now supports her.

Meanwhile, up in Alaska, that pesky “conservative,” who leftwing libertarians refuse to identify as a libertarian, gave a Big ‘F’ You to the Obama administration, by turning down $30 million in stimulus funds, cause it would require Alaskans to enforce Fed building codes on small businesses and private dwellings.

Now, turn on your trusty little libertarian website this morning, like Beltway Libertarian, and there’s zero news about either of these events.

Ron Paul – “libertarian” Votes Authoritarian

Sarah Palin – “conservative” Votes Radical Libertarian

Run that by me again? Whose the libertarian and who’s not?

5. Yea, right Eric because there’s nothing libertarian about investigating whether or not crimes were committed in our name.

I for one would love to know all the gorry little details of just what Dick Cheney was doing the last eight years when he wasn’t telling President Bush what to think.

6. tfr says:

As long as we’re off topic…

http://www.reason.com/blog/show/120338.html :

Reason: Your former staffer Eric Dondero is challenging you for your House seat in 2008.

Paul: He’s a disgruntled former employee who was fired.

Hmm…