The U.S. Army has told Maj. Stefan Cook that he doesn’t need to bother reporting for deployment to Afghanistan:
U.S. Army Maj. Stefan Frederick Cook, the reserve soldier who says he shouldn’t have to go to Afghanistan because he believes Barack Obama was never eligible to be president, has had his deployment orders revoked, Army officials said.
Lt. Col. Maria Quon, U.S. Army Public Affairs Officer, U.S. Army Human Resources Command-St. Louis, said Tuesday evening, Cook was no longer expected to report Wednesday to MacDill Air Force Base in Florida for mobilization to active duty.
Cook is an Individual Mobilization Augmentee (IMA), meaning he is a reserve soldier assigned to an active component unit for duty. He is assigned to the U.S. Army Element of U.S. Southern Command. Last week he filed a request in federal court seeking a temporary restraining order and status as a conscientious objector through his California-based attorney, Orly Taitz.
Not surprisingly, Orly the dim bulb is touting this as a victory for her side:
What does it mean? It’s proof that we have a totally illegitimate commander in chief and they will cave in each and every situation. It means that from now on any member of the military, who doesn’t like any order , needs to call Dr. Taitz, ESQ and state that he doesn’t want to follow the order, a legal action will be initiated based on Obama’s illegitimacy in office and the military will cave in. It means that for the sake of covering up for Obama and fraud perpetrated, top brass of the US military is willing to undermine integrity of the military. This has to stop.
Yep, that’s right, the worst person in the world is now openly calling for mutiny and dereliction of duty by members of the United States military, and the wingnuts at World Net Daily are repeating her drivel almost word for word.
As is usually the case with things that Orly and Joseph Farah say, though, the truth is very, very different.
For one thing, it turns out that Cook had volunteered for duty in Afghanistan just two months before filing a lawsuit to get out of it:
Earlier today, Quon said Cook submitted a formal written request to Human Resources Command-St. Louis on May 8, 2009 volunteering to serve one year in Afghanistan with Special Operations Command, U.S. Army Central Command, beginning July 15, 2009. The soldier’s orders were issued on June 9, Quon said.
Now, you might think that makes no sense. Why would Cook volunteer for duty in May, and then file a lawsuit in July claiming that he shouldn’t be “forced” to go because Barack Obama isn’t a natural born citizen ?
Perhaps it’s because he was planning to file this lawsuit all along.
As I noted yesterday, Cook has been a member and frequent poster over at Free Republic since 2003, and here’s something he posted back in March:
Well, looks like things may well be moving along.
As a Plaintiff in this class action, I get mailing from Dr. Taitz from time to time. This is an attachment to one of those mailings.
As always, have at it
And then there’s this from back in February:
US Army Major signs on as plaintiff for Dr. Orly Taitz… RE: Obama’s Eligibility to Hold Office
— On Sun, 2/1/09, Stefan Cook wrote:
From: Stefan Cook
Subject: ATTORNEY HAFFEY REFERRED
Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 6:40 AM
Dear Attorney Orly,
My name is Major Stefan F. Cook. I am an officer in the Army Reserve of the United States of America and understand that you are heading up a class action suite to request that Barack Obama show he meets the Constitutional qualifications to be our Commander In Chief. As an officer in the U.S. Army, I have the right to know that I am following the lawful orders from a Constitutionally qualified Commander In Chief.
I would like to sign on as a participating plaintiff in this class action.
STEFAN F. COOK
MAJ, EN, US ARMY
Major Cook went on to send Dr. Taitz a signed, notarized consent form authorizing her to name him as a plaintiff in this suit.
So, let’s get the timeline down:
February 1, 2009: Major Cook signs on as a “military Plaintiff” with Orly Taitz, a phenomenon I noted back in February
May 8, 2009: Major Cook volunteers for deployment to Afghanistan
July 10, 2009: Major Cook files a lawsuit asking to get out of his deployment because Obama is not a “natural born citizen”
Something smell fishy to you ?
Yea, me too.
Update: Not surprisingly the local U.S. Attorney has filed a Motion to Dismiss Orly’s TRO application, and it contains this fabulous sentence:
The Commanding General of SOCCENT has determined that he does not want the services of Maj. Cook, and has revoked his deployment orders.
Update # 2: The milbloggers at Mudville Gazette and Blackfive are picking up on the idea that Orly and Cook have basically perpetrated a massive scam to create a cause of action, and Greyhawk at Mudville has this interesting note:
When contacted, a spokesperson at U.S. Army Human Resources Command declined further comment, citing policy regarding ongoing investigations.
Ongoing investigations, huh ?
Something tells me Major Cook will become very familiar with a few JAG officers in the near future.
Update # 3: Just in case you thought you’d heard it all, Orly has thrown yet another curve ball in the Cook case.
Update # 4: Centcom weighs in on the case.