Creationists Win In Louisiana, Thanks To Bobby Jindal

by @ 7:32 am on September 18, 2009. Filed under Dumbasses, Education, Evolution vs. ID, Science

creationism

Last year, Bobby Jindal signed a law that allows Louisiana teachers and school boards across the state to present non-scientific alternatives to evolution. Now the rules designed to implement that law have been proposed and they’re a solid victory for the creationists:

The state’s top school board Wednesday approved procedures for residents who object to materials that challenge the teaching of evolution in public school science classes.

The rules, which were praised by evolution critics, stem from a law approved last year by the Legislature.

Backers say the law is needed to give science teachers more freedom to challenge traditional theories, including Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution.

Critics contend the measure, called the Louisiana Science Education Act, is aimed at injecting religious themes into public schools.

The statute allows science teachers to use supplemental materials, in addition to state-issued textbooks, to teach evolution and other topics.

(…)

Gene Mills, president of the Louisiana Family Forum Action, praised the rules and said Bayard’s plan was better than the department’s recommendation.

“Arguably this is the closest thing that would mimic due process,” Mills said in a telephone interview after the meeting. “That seems equitable to me.”

The Louisiana Family Forum, a key backer of the law, says it promotes traditional values.

The problem, of course, is that science should not, cannot, be subject to “due process” or majority will. If it is, it’s not science, it’s propaganda.

And propaganda is what’s being taught in Louisiana.

19 Responses to “Creationists Win In Louisiana, Thanks To Bobby Jindal”

1. Vast says:

I’m glad I don’t live in Louisiana

2. Steve M. says:

two reviewers will be named by the department to review the science materials in question as well as one reviewer each named by the challenger, the school and the publisher.

Am I correct when I read that as an automatic 4-1 vote against the challenger in every case?

3. Let's Be Free says:

Science can’t possibly explain why you and I exist and how we came to be intelligent beings entering into this discourse today. That goes way beyond our human ability to conjure or deduce.

I remember the first day of freshmen Chemistry in college. The professor went up to the chalkboard, drew nuclei, protons and electrons, outlining two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom. He explained how these atoms combined to form water. But we all knew that already, he said, because we had take high school chemistry. The class murmured, yes.

He then said, I am sorry to disappoint you, but I have not spoken the truth, I have merely presented to you the best model I can provide which explains behavior we are able to observe. You should always keep your mind open to other alternatives and competing theories he said. From such comes true learning.

Evolution is one of the most uncertain theories among all the speculations which we classify as science. It is built with daunting inferences and leaps of faith. I therefore believe it is especially sensible and instuctive to bring the discourse of faith into any objective attempt at teaching evolution.

Let’s set up the schools as insitutions of learning rather than as arbiters of truth.

4. tfr says:

Whatever… if those kids have any notion of what the real scientific method is, then they can find the truth for themselves. That’s the nice thing about science. It’s repeatable.
    My guess is 99% of them could give a rat’s bum about it one way of the other.

5. Vast says:

@Let’s Be Free

Fossil records, plate tectonics, and the simple mechanics of the movement of planets, stars, and galaxies alone are proof of evolution.

We also have the fact that it is possible to use bio-engineering to create new plant and animal breeds through a process of engineered evolution.

The corn you eat today is an evolutionary byproduct of centuries of human manipulation from a plant called Maize.

There is absolutely no scientific proof that God created Man. Creationism is not science, it’s mythology and has no place in the science classroom.

6. Let's Be Free says:

Vast, what you have presented are in varying degrees are observations of change and movement, but to expand that evidence to evolution from the beginning of time is an imponderably large logical leap. My own view is that the theory of evolution is full of sufficient holes and creationism is sufficiently allegorical that they are not inconsistent.

If I checked the Vatican for truth today it would be the first time ever.

You don’t have to agree or disagree with my views.

And I and my children shouldn’t have to agree or disagree with yours.

7. Vast says:

No you don’t but my children shouldn’t have to sit through a science class and be told that Creationism is science when it is not.

I would think that the Vatican would be the ultimate earthly authority on Christian faith and creationism.

8. Vast,

You forget that to many fundamentalist Christians the Catholic Church is the “Whore of Babylon” of Revelation.

9. Vast says:

Ah, I guess my Baptist upbringing never indoctrinated me into that way of thinking.

10. [...] Evolution is established science which has repeatedly passed the tests of the scientific method. As Doug Mataconis comments: …science should not, cannot, be subject to “due process” or majority will. If [...]

11. Mikelo says:

I wouldn’t normally have a problem with this if Creation stories, alongside of evolution, were equally scrutinized and questioned. This would be a great way of teaching kids how to think scientifically. Not that public schools are required to teach kids how to think, mind you. But it would be nice.

I wouldn’t mind kids reading Origin of the Species, especially the part at the end where Darwin refers to his Creator.

Of course, how long is it going to be before a non-Christian demands that their own scriptures get covered? Christians aren’t the only ones who told stories about how the world was made. “In the beginning, Brahma awoke in the middle of the lotus, and a loud voice told him ‘Meditate!’ and he proceeded to meditate for 10,000 years…”

12. Let's Be Free says:

Love it Vast, thanks for the thrusts and parries.

Somehow you seemed to have missed the reformation.

I recall learning first about the major religions of the world in public school and celebrating Judaic and Islamic traditions, as well as Christian. All of which were represented in the student population. There was a time when that was called being ecumenical, tolerant and open minded.

Guess it’s too bad all that open mindedness and inquiry turned my mind to mush when it came to understanding the scientific method.

Maybe Vast or someone else out there can lecture me on how that Kuhn fellow got it wrong; that in fact science is always fixed and immutable with scientific progress occurring only linearly and incrementally. That science is never improved by challenges bringing to bear insights and knowledge from other fields, is that the way you would have it?

13. Vast says:

If we are going to teach creationism in schools then I think it should be required to teach about The Wiccan creation story. http://www.shadowsofoz.net/philosophy/in_the_beginning.html

14. Vast says:

Personally I think a lot of us would do go if we followed the Wiccan Rede

an it harm none, do what ye will

15. Vast says:

And frankly Let’s Be Free, after the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Salem witch trials, and the Pedophile scandals, the hypocrisy of organized religion in general makes just about everything surrounding it loose all credibility.

While I believe in the existence of god, I understand that the bible was not written by god or even influenced by god. It’s simply a construct of men who’s original goal was the overthrow of the Roman Empire and after they succeeded at that they used the bible and the trappings of faith to control the masses and preserve their power and authority.

16. Let's Be Free says:

Native American Indian spiritual life invokes the role of a creator as well; why don’t you bring the traditions of our original inhabitants in as well? I would.

Its amazing views coalescing around the role of a higher power and spirituality can persist among rational beings in view of the crushing weight of the inferential backcasting of scintillas of evidence onto billions of years of history.

Imposing scientific views which are nothing more than educated guesses and prohibiting expression and exploration of alternative theories is nothing less than despotic.

17. LMAO – I love the quote from the image at the top that says “Because desert goat herders living in tents 3000 years ago knew more about the cosmos and biology than modern day scientists”