Below The Beltway

I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom that America used to believe in.

U.S. Cancels 9/11 Show Trial In New York

The Obama Administration has decided not to try Khalid Shiekh Mohammed and other 9/11 suspects in New York City:

The Obama administration on Friday gave up on its plan to try the Sept. 11 plotters in Lower Manhattan, bowing to almost unanimous pressure from New York officials and business leaders to move the terrorism trial elsewhere.

“I think I can acknowledge the obvious,” an administration official said. “We’re considering other options.”

The reversal on whether to try the alleged 9/11 terrorists blocks from the former World Trade Center site seemed to come suddenly this week, after Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg abandoned his strong support for the plan and said the cost and disruption would be too great.

But behind the brave face that many New Yorkers had put on for weeks, resistance had been gathering steam.

After a dinner in New York on Dec. 14, Steven Spinola, president of the Real Estate Board of New York, pulled aside David Axelrod, President Obama’s closest adviser, to convey an urgent plea: move the 9/11 trial out of Manhattan.

More recently, in a series of presentations to business leaders, local elected officials and community representatives of Chinatown, Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly laid out his plan for securing the trial: blanketing a swath of Lower Manhattan with police checkpoints, vehicle searches, rooftop snipers and canine patrols.

“They were not received well,” said one city official.

Gee, I wonder why.

Apparently, the Justice Department is now looking for other locations for this trial, including here in Northern Virginia or at a secure military base.

Wherever they end up though, the fact that we already know that KSM will never go free regardless of what happens in court makes it clear that any such trial would be a sham and a mockery of justice.

Post to Twitter Post to Digg Post to Facebook Post to Reddit Post to StumbleUpon

3 Responses to “U.S. Cancels 9/11 Show Trial In New York”

  1. Hopefully Frank Wolf and others can continue to keep up the pressure to keep this from taking place in northern Virginia.

  2. [...] proposed trial of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in New York City has been cancelled.  Below the Beltway sums it up here.  Looks like Frank Wolf and others will need to step up to the plate again to keep this out of [...]

  3. I’d suggest Gitmo for the trial, but about a year ago we were told it would be closed in a year, so that probably isn’t available….wait, what? It’s still open? How can that be?

    Gitmo, the KSM trial, and the December 25th attack all do one thing, prove this administration is clueless when it comes to actual security. But they talk a good game to their base about it.

[Below The Beltway is proudly powered by WordPress.]